Located on Interstate 85 between Auburn and Montgomery, E.V. Smith Research Center is the most visible agricultural facility in Alabama. The only facility named for a former AAES director—Edwin V. Smith who served at Auburn from 1929 to 1972—it is also the largest and most comprehensive with research units in beef cattle, horticulture, plant breeding, field crops and biosystems engineering.
About Auburn: At Auburn, our work changes lives. Ranked by U.S. News and World Report as a premier public institution, Auburn University is dedicated to shaping the future of the people of Alabama, the nation, and the world through forward-thinking education, life-enhancing research, scholarship and selfless service. Auburn is nationally recognized for its commitment to academic excellence, community outreach, positive work environment, student engagement, and thriving community.
To learn more about the E.V. Smith Research Center, please visit: https://aaes.auburn.edu/regional-centers/#ev-smith
- Operating and maintaining farm machinery and equipment in support of agricultural research.
- Pesticide application; assisting in soil preparation, planting, laying out research plots. harvesting row crops, including corn, cotton, soybeans, and wheat.
- May assist in collecting, recording and/or reporting various observations.
- Measurements or other information for research projects; and performing other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Some light construction and vehicle/equipment maintenance will also be expected when needed.
Level II: High school diploma or equivalent plus 1 year of relevant experience.
- Level III: High school diploma or equivalent plus 4 years of relevant experience.
Substitutions allowed for Experience:
When a candidate has the required education, but lacks the required experience, they may normally apply additional appropriate education toward the experience requirement, at a rate of one (1) year relevant education per year of required experience.
- Knowledge of farm equipment and safety.
- Ability to count and use measuring equipment accurately.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and the ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Experience operating tractors and other farm equipment.
- Alabama restricted use pesticide license.
AUBURN UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex, religion, color, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by applicable law.