Bowman Andros Products
Full Job Description
FLSA Exemption Status: *Exempt
Reports To: *Director of Purchasing
Job Summary: * The Agronomist is responsible for developing and maintaining sustainable fruit sourcing by providing technical and strategic field information and solutions for Bowman Andros Products, LLC (BAP); specifically, Procurement, R&D and Quality. In addition, the Agronomist develops and maintains excellent relationships with the growers and suppliers to ensure BAP product remains competitive and of a standard to meet and/or exceed customer and company expectations.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Develops sourcing strategies based on business priorities and needs.
- Performs fruit crops assessments: assessing fruit agricultural sector (structure, financials, yields), yearly harvest predictions (varieties, volumes, diseases, channels), and quality of fruit
- Verifies farm, packhouse and primary processing facilities compliance to Andros’ Quality and Sustainability standards.
- Assists farms with crop yields and improvement techniques.
- Manages Quality Non-Conformances in relation with suppliers.
- Identifies and grows a network of partner suppliers with whom long term projects could be developed.
- Implements global sourcing and fruit standards in cooperation with the Parent Company.
- Builds, strengthens and maintains relationships within the supply source chain.
- Study market trends and recommend source locations.
- Travel frequently (50-70% of time) to supply areas and gather technical and strategic data on incoming and ongoing crops.
- Meet and exchange information with key production managers in supply areas.
- Perform audits in cooperation with Quality Department.
- Liaise with French central teams of Purchasing, agronomy, quality and other departments.
- Develop and maintain strong and positive relationships with Internal Departments, i.e., Quality, Sales, Manufacturing, Procurement, R&D, and Purchasing team-members regarding the continuous, smooth and efficient flow of fruit supply and demand.
- Follows all safety regulations and QA/Food Safety policies relating to buying and storage processes, in addition to transportation of product to plants.
- Communicates any grower concerns and main supply details to the Director of Purchasing.
- Performs other tasks/duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in agricultural or food science related field
- Base knowledge of agriculture, geography and/or fruit processing industry.
- Good relationship management in rural context.
- Compile data and prepares reports as requested and required by Purchasing Department and Management.
- Excellent negotiation and strong problem solving skills.
- Excellent attention to detail, with the ability to prioritize, work under high-volume conditions, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to handle pressure of dealing with priorities that change frequently, and have very short time frames without losing composure.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (For example, ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedures. Must have ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from suppliers, growers, management and executives.)
- Excellent analytical and reasoning skills. (For example, must have ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.)
- Well-developed interpersonal skills. (Conflict resolution, customer orientation.)
- Regular and reliable attendance required.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule with 50-70% of time spent visiting / auditing / traveling, by plane and/or car, including overnights.
- Intermediate knowledge and skill with Microsoft products (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Must have valid driver’s license with a good driving record, and the ability to be added to company insurance.
- Good sensory abilities necessary to taste and evaluate products.
- Ensure compliance with local, state, federal, Canadian food safety policies and regulations.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Considerable time will be spent working within an office environment as well as orchards and outside settings. The incumbent will be exposed to periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer. Exposure to loud noises from production equipment and moving mechanical parts will also occur. This position requires significant travel, primarily domestic, including overnight, to meet with growers and suppliers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be performed by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to stand, sit, walk, use hands to type, handle, or feel objects, equipment, or controls; reach with hands and arms; see, talk and /or hear. The associate frequently is required to stoop, kneel, bend or crouch, and travels up and down stairs. The associate is occasionally required to taste, touch or smell.
The Agronomist may be required to sit for long periods of time while operating a vehicle. The incumbent must be able to get in and out of an automobile, and move in and out of warehouses, outside into orchards, fields and farms, and other customer locations as needed.
The Agronomist may be required to push, pull and lift up to 25 pounds on an occasional basis.
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required of positions that will be given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of associates under his/her supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level of difficulty.
I understand that signing this job description does not create a contract of employment nor guarantee employment for any definite period of time. Bowman Andros Products reserves the right to change this job description as needed.
Job Type: Full-time
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.