Van Drunen Farms
The Agronomist is responsible for overseeing crop health, pest management, and scouting, as well as managing the research trials and projects completed by the agriculture department.
The Agronomist should continually study the crops and soils to develop new methods to improve and increase the quality and production of the food crops.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: *
- Regularly scout fields to monitor pest pressure, crop health, and quality
- Manage all field sampling activities, including tissue, soil, and residue sampling
- Oversee all planning, field activities, and data collection in the test plots and for any in-field trials
- Work with field supervisors to plan fertilizer and chemical applications
- Inventory management and procurement of agri-chemicals and fertilizers
- Assist crop manager with field planning and crop rotation plans
- Seek out and evaluate new products for potential usage on VDF crops
- Assist with administrative duties as needed to maintain all farm records
- Monitor and schedule proper use of all herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers
- Supervise spray and fertilizer applicators
- Responsible for managing annual southwest winter farming logistics
- Actively participate on the Agriculture Leadership Team and role-model leadership behaviors
- Ensure that all safety procedures are followed. Work with the Safety department to continually improve safety awareness, behavior and conditions
- In partnership with the Quality department, facilitate internal and external audits
- Ensure that all FSMA and Good Agriculture Practices are followed. Work with the Ag/Farm Plant Quality Manager to continually improve product quality and food safety
- Continually work towards improving efficiencies in Agriculture
- Conduct all duties in an environmentally responsible manner
- Perform any other duty as assigned
- 3+ years of experience in specialty crops or research
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS: *
- Strong scouting and pest identification skills
- Strong technical agri-science skills
- Familiar with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and e-mail.
- Developed listening, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Must be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities.
- Must be a problem-solver who demonstrates good judgement.
- Ability to work with a team and independently
- Some travel is required with this position
- A valid driver’s license is required
- Bachelor’s degree in Agronomy, Horticulture, or an Ag field is required or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Candidate must be able to attain and keep active an Illinois Pesticide Applicators License
- A Valid driver’s license is required
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Type: Full-time
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.