The Department Manager – Oversees daily operations for one or more specific business area(s) at a Southern States Cooperative, Inc. (SSC) local farm supply center, member co-op, petroleum, retail, or agronomy facility.
Implements merchandising and/or production strategies, leads customer support initiatives, trains and supervises staff. Relies on expertise of assigned area(s) and knowledge of local industry trends.
Are you interested in joining an industry leader who is passionate about growth? At Southern States Cooperative (A Farmer Owned Cooperative since 1923); W
e are focused on helping our employees and our customers grow, by being the very best at offering challenging and rewarding career opportunities to our employees and providing superior products, services and growing solutions for our valued customers.
We want to hear from you, so come grow with us!!!
How you will impact Southern States Cooperative:.
- Collaborate with facility management team to develop strategies for achieving daily/weekly/monthly sales and/or production goals. Effectively communicate action plans to staff. Lead sales and/or production efforts to implement strategies and achieve goals.
- Serve as subject matter expert for merchandise and services related to assigned department(s). Manage training and development initiatives to increase staff expertise. Coach team members to recommend the best product solutions to meet customer project needs. Effectively demonstrate skills and proper product usage. Contact Product and Vendor Support Representatives to obtain current product information.
- Provide specialized support and expertise to customers in person and via telephone. Seek information to understand the full scope of customers’ projects and recommend SSC merchandise and service solutions. Assess whether companion products or additional equipment and services may be useful. Utilize advanced customer-focused interpersonal skills to independently resolve escalated issues. Assist with delivering products to customer locations as necessary.
- Conduct inventory of merchandise. Place orders to maintain optimum quantities of products and supplies. Partner with management team to implement new product introductions, discount old inventory, and develop creative displays to move excess inventory.
- Manage merchandising efforts for assigned department(s). Lead staff to replenish merchandise, face and organize products on shelving, update signage, pricing and shelf labeling to ensure a neat and professional presentation. Coordinate with management team to plan and execute local store events. Lead circular prep and tear down. Interpret planograms and move shelving and fixtures to build merchandise displays. Cross-stage merchandise with companion products.
- Provide general supervision to staff as requested by facility management. Assign various tasks within the department(s) to support sales, merchandising, production, and housekeeping goals. Effectively utilize leadership skills to motivate team members and foster a positive working environment.
- Assist with overseeing maintenance programs for equipment, including motorized vehicles. Maintain ability to effectively operate all facility equipment. Perform physical inspections, including climbing, crawling, and maneuvering on and around equipment. May perform minor repairs and general maintenance. Ensure equipment logs and records are accurately maintained.
- Promote the SSC brand and business philosophy in a positive and customer-focused manner throughout the local community and sales region. May conduct on-farm sales consultations for current and prospective customers to present product offerings, strengthen rapport, and develop business relationships. Attend local board meetings as requested.
- Maintain awareness of industry trends, developments, regulations, and updates to SSC products and services. Utilize a variety of resources, including: professional organizations, seminars, conferences, training courses, self-study, and on-line tools.
- Serve as a key-holder to independently open or close the facility. Comply with established policies and guidelines to ensure the security of facility, all assets, employees and customers.
- Maintain a clean, safe facility to meet OSHA and EPA regulations and Southern States Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) standards. Lead department housekeeping functions. Conduct and attend safety meetings. Monitor employees for safe performance. Perform work safely as to not cause harm to yourself, customers, co-workers, equipment, or inventory. Utilize Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required.
- Perform all other job functions as assigned.
What you need to succeed:
Education:Bachelor’s Degree, will also consider an Associate’s Degree from select programs with specialization in agronomy, plant science, animal science, business management, or a related field of study.
Experience:Requires a minimum of two (2) years of work experience in agriculture, plant science, petroleum, livestock / pet care, or a similar industry, with specialized knowledge of related merchandise and services. Requires demonstrated leadership ability. Previous Southern States work experience strongly preferred.
- Specialized knowledge to accurately advise customers and recommend merchandise and/or services in one or more of the following areas: equine, livestock, pet, home, lawn & garden, farming operations, crop protectants, fertilizers, petroleum products, propane, and/or related line of business
- Able to effectively apply knowledge of daily operations for assigned department(s)
- Able to consistently display servant leadership, motivate teams, and delegate responsibilities
- Able to consistently demonstrate customer-focused interpersonal skills and professional communication
Some of the many benefits we offer:
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- 401(k) Plan with Company Match
- Health Care Flexible Spending Account
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Short Term Disability
- Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Accident Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Paid Time Office
- Vacation Buy-Back
- Company Holidays
- Tuition Assistance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Legal Services
- Long Term Care Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Employee Merchandise Discounts
- Wellness Program
- Volunteer Program
- Employee Referral Bonus Program
Southern States Cooperative, Inc., is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against individuals based on their race, color, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, family medical history or genetic information, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws, or regulations.