Work with Grower/Producer farm accounts and apply demonstrated sales ability to grow sales while maintaining existing customer base. You will call on existing customers as well as prospective Growers/Producers in Southern States’ footprint and provide technical expertise.
This position will include sale of products and programs. (Eligible for Sales Commission Program)
Essential Job Functions
- Independently calls on customers to solicit sales, handles questions about products, and makes recommendations on best practices related to our products and services.
- Partners with General Manager and/or Assistant General Manager and Operations Managers to coordinate sales efforts, develop prospect lists, provide market intelligence, and coordinate product delivery schedules.
- Participates in local community meetings such as grower meetings, USDA and Extension meetings, and is active on county extension boards or Ag related councils.
- Provides technical assistance and related information to customers regarding best management practices. Assists customers with weed and pest identification and recommends appropriate SSC products and services.
- Coordinates all resources needed to solve customer’s issues and complaints. Works with Product Specialists, Buyers, Agronomist, Vendors, and corporate management staff to resolve questions and concerns. Maintains strong relationships with state land grant universities and local county extension personnel.
- Uses the CRM Tool to maintain accurate customer records, prospect lists, and report weekly sales calls to both customers and prospects. Transmits weekly fieldwork reports and weekly expense voucher to General Manager.
- Plans and coordinates commodity and grower meetings with current customers and prospects.
- Promotes use of John Deere Financial, GrowMaster and other company programs as sales tools for building new business.
- Represents the Cooperative in a professional manner by wearing approved company uniform and maintaining a neat and well-maintained vehicle.
- Attends schools and training sessions on selling and servicing accounts, and staying up-to-date on industry trends and SSC products and services. Takes advantage of all available resources, including internet searches as well as other more traditional sources, to improve effectiveness.
- Pursues continuing education by attending Crops Certification seminars where applicable, and may possess CDL license, and other Ag related certifications.
- Performs other responsibilities and duties as assigned by supervisor.QualificationsEducation: Bachelor’s degree in agronomy preferred. A combination of training and experience may be considered in lieu of completed degree
Experience:3-5 years of Agronomic sales experience preferred
Experience with field scouting in making sound agronomic recommendations
- Knowledge of Crop Precision Ag programs (GPS, gridding, mapping, precision crop plans)
- Able to sell the complete line of fertilizer, seed and chemicals
- Able to develop sales strategies and techniques to increase sales and meet sales goals
- Able to learn and present programs to Growers/Producers in group or individual settings
- Effective communication, organizational and presentation skills
- PC proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Able to travel up to 95%, limited overnight stay
- Work EnvironmentThe work environment will vary based on location. Essential job functions are performed indoors in a climate controlled environment, in a warehouse environment subject to seasonal temperatures and humidity, and outdoors unprotected from weather conditions.
Regularly exposed to hazards including:
- Merchandise, supplies and tools with sharp edges or containing hazardous materials
- Dust, odors, fumes and hazardous chemicals associated with sales and storage of petroleum/propane, dry and liquid fertilizers, crop protectants and other agricultural products
- Moving mechanical parts and vehicles, vibrations and electric current
- Noise levels where hearing protection is optional per PPE Plan
- Schedule requirements will vary based on location. Extended hours and/or alternate work schedules may be required. Ability to report to work on time and in adverse weather conditions is required.Physical Activities & Requirements
Physical activities and requirements will vary based on location and merchandise mix. Below is a general description.
- Continuously bend and stoop; manual dexterity (fingers and hands) and utilize repetitive hand motion with merchandise and tools including computers and motorized vehicles; reach with arms and hands for extended periods; stand and walk for extended periods, at times may be on concrete or uneven surfaces; utilize eye/hand coordination; twist back and neck. Pull, push, lift, carry up to 50 pounds.
- Frequently climb, crouch, stack, and sweep. Pull, push, lift, carry 50-80 pounds, may be assisted.
- Occasionally balance, kneel, shovel and sit. Pull, push, lift, carry 80-100 pounds, may be assisted.
- Must be able to speak to co-workers and customers regarding sales, operations and safety. Must be able to hear customer service phone calls, hand held radio, equipment and vehicle sounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.Tools & Equipment
Tools and equipment will vary based on location and merchandise mix. Below is a general description.
Hand held scanner, telephone, hand held radio, computer, printer, scanner, copier, fax machine, writing instrument, reports, logs, spreadsheets, point-of-sale terminal, petroleum and/or propane equipment and terminals, fertilizer and crop protectant blenders and spreaders (dry row spreader, John Deere dry body, Spreader Trucks and/or Terra-Gator, spray trucks with 40-60 foot boom coverage, Crop Sprayers with 80-120 foot boom coverage), loaders, forklifts, pick-ups, delivery trucks, and other tools and equipment.
Southern States Cooperative is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against individuals based on their race, color, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, family medical history or genetic information, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws, or regulations.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, functions and skills required for this job. Functions and requirements may change at any time with or without notice.