I established a business working with St. John’s donkeys in ’94. Since then I’ve taken on horses for trail rides, sheep, goats and a handful of cats and dogs. I’m no longer offering trail rides but am in search of a couple preferably who can continue the care of the smaller animals with some older horses remaining at the yard. I can assist in getting anyone who’s interested in taking on the corral by showing them the daily routine and their care as well as sources for feed and hay.
I would then be moving back to the states. but will be available for support at all times. Income is generated at the corral in the mornings M -F from 10 to noon and in the afternoons at 4 pm for interaction with the donkeys on what I call the Daily Donkey which is a few fun activities including Obstacle Course and Pole Bending. Merchandise such as T shirts, hats and bags can also be designed and offered for sale along with the yearly St. John VI Donkey Calendar. These can be picked up on site or ordered online.
Additional income can be made via special events at the corral in the weekends including birthday parties or family fun days where pony and donket rides are a hit. We also have an abundance of fertilizer for sale which is considered black gold on the islands. Anyone who is interested in this undertaking may work a second job on island or remotely via the available wifi.
Some of the responsibilities are as followed with adequate training in every aspect of animal care:
– Provide daily care and maintenance for animals in our facility
– Follow established protocols for animal husbandry, including feeding, watering, and cleaning
– Monitor animal behavior and health.
– Assist with animal restraint during procedures and examinations
– Perform basic veterinary procedures, such as administering medications and vaccinations, wound care and fly repellent application.
– Provide critical care for sick or injured animals as directed by the veterinarian
– Maintain accurate records of animal care and medical treatments
– Knowledge of animal physiology and behavior
– Experience in animal husbandry and handling a variety of animals
– Ability to restrain animals safely and effectively
– Equine experience is highly desirable
– Strong attention to detail and ability to follow protocols accurately
– Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
– Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
– Physical stamina to perform tasks that may involve lifting, bending, and standing for extended periods of time
If you are passionate about animal care and have the necessary skills and experience, we would love to hear from you. Join our team of dedicated animal caretakers and make a difference in the lives of our furry friends.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Care taker may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $2,495.52 – $3,005.36 per month
Employee assistance program
Flexible spending account
Paid time off
Choose your own hours
Supplemental pay types:
Work Location: In person
To apply for this job, please click here to apply