Cobblestone Farm is a small-scale mixed vegetable farm in Mansfield Center, CT, near UConn and ECSU. We grow on 2+ acres for our 125-member CSA program, the Storrs Farmers Market, local schools, food equity programs, and our local co-op. Our customers value our commitment to high-quality produce, our community involvement, and our tomatoes!
The farm is in its 8th season. We follow organic practices, but are not certified. Field work is a mix of human- and tractor-powered. We plant mixed-species cover crops, maintain native species plantings for beneficial insects, apply compost & mulch with straw, and follow no- and low-till practices.
Full time, April – October, 40 hrs/week. Optional part-time hours available in March & November.
This job could be an excellent opportunity for an experienced vegetable farm worker looking to take the next step toward full time farm management or owning their own farm, or for a farm worker looking for more autonomy in their work day. In this job you would be involved in most aspects of farm labor and management. You would be responsible for wholesale accounts, with support and guidance from me.
A typical work-week would include, but is not limited to, starting seedling trays, bed prep & field planting, cultivation, and harvest and prep for CSA pick ups on Mondays and Thursdays during the harvest season. Wholesale responsibilities would include communicating with buyers, packing orders, and making local deliveries. Except for CSA pick up days, there can be some flexibility in the work-week schedule.
An ideal candidate for this job will be able to agreeably work in all weather conditions, be engaged in learning about vegetable production, find satisfaction in physical work, and value being part of our local food system.
At least two seasons of work on a small scale vegetable farm. Work experience must include:
- propagation greenhouse operations
- field transplanting, drip irrigation, setting up row cover
- speed and agility with a hoe
- all aspects of harvest, wash, and pack
- basic tractor operation
Bonus points for the following skills. But if you don’t already know, you’ll learn!
- cut flower production
- wholesale marketing
- customer service
- high tunnel growing
- pest and disease scouting and management
- general tractor maintenance
- record keeping
All applicants must also be able to:
- work in all weather
- squat, bend, kneel, and stand for long periods
- repeatedly lift 50 lbs
- provide a clean driving record
- follow instructions
- show interest in learning
- move quickly and be detail-oriented
- have an understanding of body mechanics and efficiency of movement
- work independently and as a team, and to ask for help when needed
- be conscientious & dependable
$18/hour. Paid half hour lunch breaks, a full CSA share, unlimited seconds.
To learn more about the farm, check out cobblestonefarmcsa.com and facebook.com/cobblestonefarmcsa.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $18.00 per hour
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Mansfield Center, CT 06250: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Farming (Required)
Work Location: One location