The Crop Advisor is responsible for providing additional services from Helena to the growers.
The employee’s primary duty must be the performance of office or non-manual work directly related to the management or general business operations of Helena or Helena’s customers. This also includes the exercise of discretion and independent judgement with respect to matters of significance.
What your day may look like
- Scouts crops to indicate if pest populations could cause an economic loss to the crop.
- Scouts fields once a week to determine pest and beneficial populations.
- Makes recommendations for chemicals.
- Conducts seed and chemical test plots throughout the territory.
- Compiles data and assists in the sale of products with an emphasis on seed and proprietary products.
- Assists retail customers with their agronomic needs and sells products profitable to Helena, both proprietary and basic supplier.
- Evaluates soil and makes fertility recommendations.
- Provides technical training to growers through group meetings, data, test plots, etc.
- Provides technical training to branch employees to increase Helena and basic supplier product sales.
- Promotes, trains and assists the sales teams with customer recommendations on fertility, seed selection and pesticides used specifically in their area.
- Serves as a liaison between extension and governmental agencies for programs and agriculture and agronomic direction.
- Samples soil and summarizes each field for the growers throughout the off-season. This summarization will help the farmer better understand some possible reasons he or she had problems. Offers recommendations for prevention of these problems.
- Other work-related duties as assigned by leader.
- Reliable and regular attendance is expected.
Education and experience needed for this position
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture is required.
- Two years of experience with weed and insect control with knowledge of fertility and crop variety selection is required.
Other skills that will help you succeed:
- Interpersonal skills.
- Verbal and written communication skills.
Your work environment and the physical aspects of the job
At Helena, safety is our highest priority. We seek out extensive safety measures and put them in place to minimize exposure to anything that could be potentially harmful to our employees.
The work environment for this position may require the employee to work in an outdoor setting in all types of weather conditions with exposure to outdoor elements. When working outdoors and possibly around moving equipment/mechanical parts, the employee may be exposed to fumes, airborne particles, chemical and biological hazards, vibrations and a risk of electrical shock. This position requires you to use your hands for many different tasks and to talk, hear, walk, stand and sit. You may be occasionally required to lift or move up to 50 pounds.
Who we are
Helena Agri-Enterprises, LLC is one of the nation’s foremost agronomy solutions providers. We rank near the top nationally in volume and sales for crop production products, fertilizer, custom application, seed and precision agriculture, turf management, industrial weed control, forestry, aquatics and more. As a solutions provider, we help our customers make critical decisions about soil variability, nutrient and water availability, seed selection and pest management. We take pride in working with our growers beyond the sale, helping them in every aspect of their business.
Helena operates under several main business groups – Helena Products Group, AGRIntelligence, Helena Industries, LLC and Diversified Applications, Inc.
Helena is a special place to be
At Helena, we are family. Our employees take care of each other and support each other at work and in their personal life. Our family-like atmosphere creates a positive work environment that allows our employees to be high-performers because they feel comfort and compassion from their manager and work team. Our family-like culture is centered on our successful business model “People…Products…Knowledge.” People being the first for good reason. When our employees are treated right and feel cared for, our customers thrive and our business grows.
Helena’s commitment to diversity and inclusion
At Helena, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment where all our employees feel safe, valued and have the opportunity to succeed. We embrace different backgrounds and human experiences because our customers are also diverse. When we all show deep appreciation for each other and our customers it builds trust that strengthens Helena and keeps us competitive.
Helena supports individuals with disabilities and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform job responsibilities.