We are currently searching for an entry level agronomist to join our small family-like team. We are open to discussing fulfilling this role as an internship with the potential to hire on full time.
We are hoping our hire will be working with us long term. The ideal hire will have a great attitude, great work ethic, and some background in farming or agricultural sciences. If the job description below seems like a good fit for you, apply today!
Lakeside Ag-Ventures is a grower owned vegetable and grass seed production company located in the heart of the Willamette Valley of Oregon. Our goal is to ensure that we exceed the standards of growers and customers alike. Our mission is to utilize teamwork to build a sustainable, innovative and profitable business.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
· Oversee production of assigned crops from initial placement to post harvest analysis. This includes assisting growers in the production of contracted crops.
· Develop and maintain production guides for each different species/crop type we produce. Stay current with chemical labels, fertility and any agronomic changes to crop types.
· Pre crop management with growers: Grower selection, crop placement, deliver & review production guide, develop contracts, pin crops if needed, obtain field history and chemicals used for plant back issues, delivery of seed stock
· Crop management with growers: field scouting, develop crop reports for growers/customers, assist growers when needed with cropping questions, create, submit & monitor field inspections by Dept. of Ag., oversee proper harvesting & delivery to processor, share market & company information
· Post crop management: Work with supply chain & operations manager to communicate with grower on status of seed cleaning & quality, update on status of shipping and payment, visit once crop is completed (paid), to review success and areas of improvement.
· Manage seed stock treatment, delivery, returns and inventory
· Transport loads of seed to and from local warehouses when needed
· Develop & coordinate transplant plan with greenhouse personnel. Inspect greenhouse facilities regularly until plants are transplanted in the field
· Scouting of crops consists of identification of pests, diseases & weeds and following up with grower to make sure they are removed, assure grower crop is getting adequate irrigation, watch for off-types and assure removal either by grower or LAV labor crew, track changes in seed yield estimates based on development of the crop
· Create and maintain crop records, send to customers during the growing cycle and for historical data along with maintenance of record keeping system
· Communicate with customer, supply chain & operations manager to make sure crops have been signed up and inspected by ODA for export purposes
· Tour customers/seed company personnel to production fields.
· Strategize with chemical representatives and growers on pest, disease, weed control and fertility management
· Work with supply chain manager on making sure equipment is ready, delivered and assist grower in setting up if needed. Planting (Transplanter, Monosem), trimming of inbred lines if needed to adjust nick, training of inbred lines if needed, male removal (tractor/flail), conversion sprays if needed of hybrid vine seed crops, oversee harvesting of vine seed crops
· Contract and supervise labor crews
· Manage trials. Involves configuration of plot, planting, watering, fertilizing, spraying pesticides, record keeping, reporting to customers, and coordination with farm.
· Work with supply chain manager to target the best crops, companies & growers.
· Outreach to industry professionals for education on agronomic practices.
· Be involved in industry meetings & committees. Examples are WVSSA, SSGWO, Oregon Seed League, Oregon State research field days.
· Possible synergies with Cascade Foods include orchard agronomy and visiting with growers to possibly assist where needed.
Must be able to work some weekends, long hours, lift 50 lbs, and walk in fields in hot/dry and cold/wet conditions.
· Active listening and superior verbal and written communication
· Interpersonal skills and adaptability
· Critical thinking and problem-solving skills with the ability to use time effectively and prioritize projects and requests
· Strong organizational skills
· Knowledge of Windows applications including Microsoft Word, Excel and Access
· Familiarity with large equipment such as trailers, planters, four wheelers, etc.
· Bilingual Spanish is a plus, but not required
· Pest identification
· Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s license
Compensation is competitive, depending on experience
Work vehicle provided
Health, dental and vision insurance
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $45,000.00 – $50,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 12 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- Weekend availability
- Farming: 1 year (Preferred)
- Sales: 1 year (Preferred)
- Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s license (Preferred)
Work Location: Multiple Locations