Spurwink Farm in Cape Elizabeth ME is looking for a Farm Manager! We are large 30+ stall horse boarding farm that also features an airfield, 10 beef cattle, chickens, bunnies, and of course a barn cat. All overlooking Higgins Beach!
We are looking for an experienced, highly motivated professional, with an established career in farm management and equine management, who is interested in managing a large horse boarding facility and hay production operation. Spurwink Farm does full service equine care including feeding/haying, turnout, blanketing, barn maintenance (stalls/paddocks), as well as other miscellaneous tasks. Our farm handles most on-farm care for nearly all horses on the property including scheduling and supervising vet and farrier visits. We also have 20+ hay fields owned and managed by the farm that we cut annually.
As the Farm Manager, you will manage a maximum of 40 horses, 3 barns, a staff of 4-6 people, and assist in the day-to-day operations of the farm. The Farm Manager position ensures the best possible health care for boarded horses, schedules vet and farrier visits, keeps accurate and organized records, and manages the operations of all barn staff.
- Managing the over-all health and schedules for all boarded horses
- Ensure accurate record keeping and coordination with employees, boarders, and farm owners.
- Assist with feeding, turnout, mucking stalls, cleaning paddocks, small animal care (chickens/bunnies/barn cat), general farm labor & maintenance, and farm equipment operation & maintenance
- Maintaining supplies, equipment, and clean working environments for staff and horses
- Supervise daily operations and assist employees where necessary while maintaining a safe working environment
- Ensure employees are accomplishing daily tasks and operating safely
- Work with local vets and farriers in routine care as well as illness/injury recovery plans.
- Manage emergency situations per procedure; leader in emergency response situations
- Assist with new team member training and provide encouragement and coaching as needed
- Plan, manage, and assist in maintaining and harvesting hay from all of our leased fields. This includes planning/developing annual fertilizer plans, as well as drafting over-seeding plans as necessary for both hayfields and horse grazing pastures.
- Equine experience (Required)
- Farm labor experience (Required)
- Management experience (required)
- Injury-care & maintenance such as leg wraps & monitoring etc. (Required)
- IV,IM, & PO medication administration (Preferred)
*A 3 bedroom apartment is available for rent on property for the manager if interested, it is $1300/mo to rent*
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $20.00 per hour
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- 8 hour shift
- On call
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Cape Elizabeth, ME 04107: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Equine: 5 years (Required)
- Farming: 5 years (Required)
- Driver’s License (Required)
- Day Shift (Required)
Work Location: One location