Farm Manager – Are you passionate about building a strong local food economy in rural Appalachia? Would you enjoy working with young people to provide healthy, fresh food to our communities? High Rocks is looking for a full-time Farm Manager.
Our mission is to educate, empower, and inspire young people in West Virginia, and as a Farm Manager, you’ll be helping to build sustainable local produce production, teach young growers agricultural and business skills, and work together with local and regional partners – including schools, food pantries, and partner farms – to develop a stronger local foods economy and to combat hunger and food insecurity in the food deserts we live in.
With your expertise in farm operations, strategic planning, and sustainable practices, you’ll oversee all aspects of our farm and local foods programming, including our Ruby Grow production farm and workforce development program, our Grow Appalachia program that teaches households how to garden for themselves, and community workshops celebrating Appalachian food traditions.
By nurturing partnerships with local farmers and mentoring young people, you’ll foster a resilient and thriving Appalachia by empowering the next generation of agricultural leaders.
Salary: $40,000 – 50,000 depending on education and experience. Based in Hillsboro, WV, this position is full-time, at-will, and eligible for benefits, including flexible workplace, health, vacation, retirement, and professional development opportunities.
- Lead Local Foods programs across all High Rocks.
- Design and deliver programming to youth, including on-the-job training, leadership and professional development, and business skills.
- Recruit, hire, supervise, and work directly alongside student growers, AmeriCorps members, and /or youth daily.
- Develop and follow the Ruby Grow farm business model:Production planning and growing (prioritizing needs for camp and year-round High Rocks programming).
Market development for products.
Meet sales targets and program marketing needs.
Cultivate and maintain customer and partner relationships.
Develop a viable business model.
- Coordinate and implement the Folk Arts and Culture workshop series, including marketing curriculum, facilitation, and evaluation.
- Manage the Grow Appalachia program, including participant recruitment, program development and delivery, leading workshops, supplies procurement, community outreach, grant writing, and program reporting.
- Assisting in writing and reporting on grants and other funding opportunities for local foods.
- Serve as the main point of contact for our local foods partners, including a learning exchange with partners in Kentucky.
- Support camp operations and activities.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent certification and/or experience is highly recommended.
- Organized and customer-focused.
- Experience with industrial/commercial scale agriculture is a plus.
- Time, project, and personnel management skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Some travel is required.
- A background check is required since we work with vulnerable populations and Workforce WV. Must be able to pass a drug screening.
Reports to: Programs Director
To apply: Please send a letter of interest or cover letter, résumé, and references to High Rocks, Attn: Sarah Riley: [email protected]. All current High Rocks positions are viewable at www.highrocks.org/openings. High Rocks Educational Corporation is an innovative team environment with a solid mission to educate, empower, and inspire young people in West Virginia.
High Rocks is a leader in transforming the lives of young people and the impact they have on their communities in West Virginia and beyond. High Rocks is an award-winning non-profit with our main offices in Hillsboro, WV.
The High Rocks team is dynamic and inspiring; team members work together to achieve great results, guide the direction of the organization, represent High Rocks in regional partnerships, work together to tell the story of High Rocks to the world, and build relationships with funders and other partners so that we can provide our programs free-of-charge to young people in West Virginia.
High Rocks offers a generous total compensation package, including a flexible workplace policy, competitive salary, contribution toward health insurance and retirement, five weeks of paid vacation, a beautiful, dynamic, family-friendly workplace, and opportunities for professional growth. High Rocks is an equal-opportunity employer.
Please feel free to reach out to us with any questions about High Rocks or our openings by emailing [email protected]
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $40,000.00 – $50,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 1 year
- 2 years
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Hillsboro, WV 24946: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: In person