The Operations Associate – Farm position reports to the Assistant Farm Manager and is focused on supporting the Research and Production team in growing and maintenance of variety trials, breeding workshops, and seed production crops at the Albion Research Facility and surrounding contracted fields.
The position is seasonal and located at our Albion location.
- Perform farm production tasks (planting, irrigation, weed control, pest management, crop maintenance, harvest, seed cleaning, safe equipment operations, building and grounds maintenance, etc.).
- Participate in end of season tidying of fields, equipment, and facilities.
- Provide feedback to supervisor regarding production needs.
- Participate in morning meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Attend all necessary trainings.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent required.
- An agricultural background is preferred, but will train the right applicant.
Qualifications & Skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to capture detailed recordkeeping.
- Positive, can-do attitude; loyalty, self-motivation.
- Analytical and creative problem solver.
- Ability to prioritize, self-manage, and seek help when necessary.
- Ability to work independently, build consensus and function as part of a team.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Adapt to changing work situations.
- Punctuality and readiness to work.
- Ability to work weekend hours.
- Eagerness to work overtime as needed, often on very short notice.
- Hold a valid Maine driver’s license for travel from office to fields with company vechicle/personal vehicle. Mileage reimbursement available for employees using their own vehicle.
- Ability to read, count, and write to accurately complete all documentation.
- Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates.
- Ability to work in less than ideal weather conditions.
- Agility to work and navigate on uneven, rocky ground.
- Ability to bend, pull, and lift up to 50 pounds.
JOHNNY’S SELECTED SEEDS was established in 1973 by our Founder, Rob Johnston, Jr. Today we are 100% Employee Owned. Johnny’s mission is Helping families, friends, and communities to feed one another by providing superior seeds, tools, information, and service.
Johnny’s is renowned for our exceptional customer service offering seeds, tools, supplies and information to direct-market growers and avid home gardeners. We source, breed, trial, and sell outstanding selected varieties of vegetables, cut flowers, herbs, and farm seed, as well as thoughtfully designed tools and equipment. We take pride in the wealth of information and depth of experience we offer our customer base, nationwide and globally.
We are a strong, stable company focused on growth while still maintaining our small company feel and staying true to our roots. Beautiful Central Maine, where our research farm, warehouse, and offices are located, is the perfect launching point for an active, four season life style. Geographically situated halfway between Maine’s mountains and its 4500-mile-long coastline, we’re a short drive away from resorts, parks, and harbors renowned for a rich diversity of recreational and cultural opportunities.
If you are passionate about good, healthy food and would choose to work for a company with fellow co-owners who are passionate about our mission and values, Johnny’s may be the place for you!
Johnny’s Selected Seeds is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, or veteran status.