We are looking for a motivated individual to join our Farm Team for the 2023 growing season! New Roots Community Farm (NRCF) will be hiring a Farm Team Apprentice this year. The Farm Team at NRCF consists of our two Farm Managers, Assistant Manager and Farm Apprentice. NRCF produces a variety of specialty crops on 3 acres in the field and in high tunnels. Farm Team Apprentices will develop skills in specialty crop, small scale agricultural production systems at New Roots Community Farm near Fayetteville, West Virginia.
This community farm engages in sustainable agriculture production of specialty crops; offers diverse training opportunities, provides land access options, and marketing opportunities through regional aggregation and distribution infrastructure. This project will strengthen relationships between producers and consumers, and feature opportunities to engage community members, students, and tourists in farm activities and workshops.
This position is part of our pre apprentice program. We are seeking individuals that wish to gain fundamental skills of farming as they pursue an education and career in agriculture. The pre apprentice program lasts 6 months and corresponds with the height of the growing season. Work during this period will consist of various activities related to small scale vegetable production. The primary activities of this position include seeding, weeding, harvesting, washing and packing produce. General farm maintenance duties such as mowing, string trimming, and small building projects are also required. When the apprenticeship and assessments are complete the apprentice may be offered the opportunity to continue their apprenticeship in our annual program. During the year-long apprenticeship, participants will learn many of the back end aspects to farm management including production planning, soil management, farm budgeting, equipment maintenance and whole farm planning.
The Farm Team Apprentice is an employee of New Roots Community Farm, supervised by the Production Managers and Farm Director. This part-time employee will earn $11/hr, not to exceed 32 hours per week, for no more than six months, and does not qualify for a benefits package. Flexible work hours are available.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Prepare beds for direct seeding and transplanting
- Seed and transplant crops
- Water and maintain seedlings
- Perform a variety of weed and pest management activities
- Assist with set up and maintenance of irrigation systems
- Harvest crops every week
- Wash and pack crops according to specifications for wholesale or retail markets
- Perform general property maintenance activities and infrastructure improvements
- Communicate with project partners
- Utilize Google Classroom curriculum
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Desire to develop farming enterprise or work in agricultural sector
- Passion for agriculture and a desire to develop a robust local food system
- Desire and capacity to use hands and power tools
- Ability to lift, bend, stoop, walk, reach, sit and stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to follow simple directions and perform repetitive tasks
- Ability to work in a variety of outdoor environments including high temperatures and rain
- Ability to follow all farm safety protocols
- Valid driver’s license
New Roots Community Farm is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity (including gender expression), sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, family/parental status, income derived from a public assistance program, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply.
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary
Pay: $11.00 per hour
- Flexible schedule
People with a criminal record are encouraged to apply
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Fayetteville, WV 25840: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: One location