The Field Scout enables healthy crop development by providing the scouting, sampling, and data collection needed to make informed growing decisions on the farm.
CSS Farms is a multi-state agricultural business with a mission of Growing Great Together. We achieve this by leading the way in stewardship and solutions for every field, every load, every day.
At CSS Farms we take great pride in doing the job right and believe our best work is achieved when we work together. Farming is our way of life, we have a deep passion for the land, our families, and our communities. We have a legacy rooted in solving hard problems and tackling new business ventures.
In this role, you will:
- Conduct day to day field observation work.
- Prepare and install traps in the field.
- Inspect, monitor, and report back on insect and disease.
- Sample and report on yield and fertility.
- Monitor soil moisture and schedule irrigation.
- Use GPS technology to map fields, use a field record system.
- Contribute to farm operations such as seed handling and cutting, planter spacing, and test digs.
- Take on other tasks and responsibilities, as needed.
This position works closely with the land and spends a large amount of time in the field. This includes:
- Extensive walking and working outdoors, in the elements.
- Repetitive bending, kneeling, and digging.
- Driving between farm sites to move samples and other supplies.
- Regularly lifting objects (such as potato samples) of up to 40-50 lbs.
Expected Hours of Work
- Typical, daily farm hours are 7 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday.
- Harvest and planting seasons are busy and may require longer hours and some weekends.
- A basic level of proficiency with technology, like handheld scouting devices.
- Organizational skills and attention to detail for accurate sampling and reporting.
- Basic math skills and the ability to maintain accurate counts.
- Experience operating farm equipment is a plus.
- Knowledge and/or experience with agricultural operations a plus.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- Market competitive salary
- Healthcare, Dental and Vision coverage as outlined in the company benefits overview.
- Flex spending account for out-of-pocket medical expenses.
- 401(k) plan options.
- Short Term Disability Insurance, Long Term Disability Insurance, and Life Insurance.
- A paid time off package.
- Tuition reimbursement options.
CSS Farms provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, CSS Farms complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
CSS Farms expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.