Reports to: Executive Director
Benefits: Health and dental insurance; retirement plan with 3% match; paid vacation, professional learning opportunities.
Send resume and cover letter to [email protected]
The CitySprouts mission is to cultivate curiosity and wonder for all children with hands-on science learning through urban gardening. Established in 2001, CitySprouts’ in-school and out-of-school time programs currently operate in partnership with 24 Boston and Cambridge public schools.
The Garden Operations Manager is a key position for the overall success of CitySprouts programs and mission. Their primary responsibility is the overall care and maintenance of all of the CitySprouts’ schoolyard and community gardens. In addition to ensuring CitySprouts’ 24 school gardens are thriving schoolyard classrooms, the Garden Operations Manager directs CitySprouts’ volunteer engagement and oversees a Terracorps member.
Gardens and Schools
– Maintain positive and productive relationships with school facilities staff to ensure the partnered care of school garden infrastructure: e.g. garden beds, containers, gates, fences, sheds, water access, pest control, vandalism, and general physical maintenance and repairs
– Establish/maintain strong relationships with partner organizations and community farmers, particularly the growth of seedlings at the Food Project
– Work with Program Director to orient, train and support Garden Educators in the planting and caring for school gardens
– Oversee and manage seasonal and weekly garden maintenance ensuring thriving learning gardens
– Plan for, order and distribute seasonal and as-needed garden supplies including seedlings, garden materials and garden tools
– Manage annual garden replenishment with an emphasis on equitable and data-driven distribution of materials
– Oversee the purchase, delivery and accounting of garden supplies
– Track and maintain garden operations inventory and budget
– Plan and implement summer garden maintenance
– Orient, train and support volunteers to care for school gardens over the summer
– Identify, prepare and manage volunteer garden projects during the school year
– Work with the development/communications team to recruit & cultivate corporate volunteers
Safety and Security procedures
– Train all staff, volunteers and interns in organization’s safety policies and procedures and ensure compliance
– Set up summer First Aid/CPR training for summer staff and interns
– Supervise garden maintenance personnel
– Supervise interns/service members in the area of garden care and volunteer management
– Serve as a liaison to TerraCorp
Requirements for the position:
– Commitment to the CitySprouts mission
– 2-3 years experience creating and maintaining raised-bed gardens, specifically vegetables, flowers, and pollinator gardens – urban school garden experience a plus
– 2-3 years project planning and management experience
– Strong interpersonal communication skills
– Budgeting and math skills, particularly regarding data collection and assessment
– Experience teaching non-gardeners/novice gardeners
– Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
– Experience with hand and power tools
– Comfortable working in all weather and seasons
– Master Gardener certificate a plus
Work environment and physical requirements
– The position requires physical labor in mixed weather conditions including the ability to to perform physical labor such as carrying (40lbs), lifting, kneeling, bending, digging etc.
– Valid driver’s license and clean driving record is required
CitySprouts strives to build a community of teachers, students and families united around public education, gardens and connecting children to the natural world. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are among the core principles that define our work, and thus we actively seek to build a team that is inclusive of diverse backgrounds, perspectives and experiences.
CitySprouts does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, gender, religion, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or citizenship in any of its programs. It is CitySprouts’ policy to maintain a safe, educational and engaging work environment free of unlawful discrimination and harassment in any form.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org