- Feeds, waters, vaccinates, and performs general animal husbandry tasks including basic veterinary procedures.
- Maintains flexibility with a willingness to change plans according to the direction of farm leadership.
- Assists in moving animals and maintaining efficient animal flows.
- Sanitizes and washes multiple areas on the farm using high pressure equipment.
- Processes piglets, which includes: Injecting medications, castrating, docking tails, and ear notching.
- Maintains accurate production information and update all department records as required.
- Treats sick animals with a variety of pharmaceuticals by injection, oral application, and/or other methods as required.
- Follows the Standard Operation Procedures, Production Manuals, or Appropriate Training Guides as required.
- Assists with facility and equipment maintenance.
- Assists with maintaining barn, office cleanliness, and laundry duties.
- Follows the Company’s animal welfare policies and procedures including: providing a physical environment that meets the animal’s needs, providing access to adequate water and high quality feed, providing humane treatment of the animals, providing identification and appropriate treatment of animals in need of health care and following the guidelines for euthanasia.
- Responsible for complying with all environmental, safety and biosecurity laws and procedures.
- High School diploma or GED preferred.
- Previous livestock handing helpful.
- Ability to do hard physical labor.
- Strong commitment to teamwork.
- Willingness to shower daily in and out of facility.
- Ability to follow instructions and deal with standardized situations.
- Must be able to work an average 48-hour work week, which can vary frequently.
- Weekend, evening, and holiday work required as needed.
- Must be on call for emergency situations to include but not limit to, power outages or personnel shortages.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
- Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
- Must be able to work with and around a wide range of antibiotics (i.e. penicillin).
- Must be able to tolerate blood, animal dander, manure, dust, odors, and frequently noisy conditions.
Careers and Benefits:
More than 63,000 employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn’t just a job – it’s the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That’s why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield Foods: