We are seeking a driven and experienced Ranch Manager to oversee and manage cattle operations across private and BLM lands near Belfry and Red Lodge Montana. This role requires a progressive-minded leader who can manage the daily activities and responsibilities of a 3–4-man crew caring for approximately 1,200 cows and a 2,500 head backgrounding yard, seasonally. The ideal candidate will have a strong financial background, an understanding of regenerative agriculture principles, expertise in livestock production, and exceptional interpersonal and leadership skills.
The successful candidate must live on the ranch. A nice house and utilities will be provided, along with a ranch truck, health insurance, 401k and ranch beef.
- Ability and commitment to hire, mentor, train and supervise ranch personnel in their day-to-day activities.
- Leader by example in teamwork, work ethic, professionalism and high moral standards.
- A college degree is a plus.
- Strong cow/calf and stocker backgrounding experience
- Knowledge of GAP and IMI Global programs is desired.
- Understanding of KPI’s and ability to manage to profitable levels.
- High level understanding of forage and grazing management.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel needed.
- Ability to understand, manage, and analyze financial statements and accrual accounting books, cost analysis, budgets and cash flow.
- Flexibility to work varied hours as needed.
- Strong attention to detail with a focus on quality and accuracy
- Ability to take initiative, seek and offer help when needed and work independently without being prompted.
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities; use time efficiently; and adhere to company policies and procedures.
- Must be neat, organized and take good care of equipment, facilities and livestock.
- Experience operating equipment such as tractors, trucks, skid steers, ATV’s, and skills to perform routine equipment repairs and maintenance.
Responsibilities: This position will include but is not limited to:
Implement and execute the GM’s vision, collaborating closely with the management team on overall company strategy and profitability targets.
- Allocate resources effectively, manage budgeting and financial accounting, and oversee projects and capital improvements.
- Ensure compliance with federal and state regulations related to ranching operations, including working in a DSA (Designated Surveillance Area) for Brucellosis.
- Provide strong leadership to all ranch employees, fostering effective communication and stakeholder engagement.
- Continually monitor and evaluate the performance of each enterprise, making necessary adjustments to optimize outcomes.
- Perform as lead person for cow/calf and backgrounding operation; point person for any issues that occur throughout the cattle and ranch operation.
- Organizing and coordinating the scheduling of ranch activities at all locations. Coordinating the employees to work as a cohesive unit to complete the needed activities.
- Evaluate financial statements and manage annual budgets.
- Identify and treat sick cattle, and administer basic veterinary treatments as needed.
- Manage animal well-being and incorporate low stress handling.
- Manage ranch infrastructure including upkeep of houses, equipment, cattle pens, fences, water tanks, solar watering systems and pipelines, etc. and assist in all areas of the operation when needed.
- Help organize and oversee safety rules, policies and training.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise.