Full Job Description
Position Title: Livestock Program Coordinator
Supervisor: Director of Agriculture
Position Type: Fulltime – exempt
Pay Range: $55,000 – $65,000
Please fill out our online application form – https://tinyurl.com/JobsESE – and include your resume and a cover letter. Only completed applications that include a resume and cover letter will be considered. Questions regarding the application process can be addressed to [email protected]. Positions are open until filled, priority application deadline November 13, 2023 with an anticipated January 2024 start.
The Livestock Program Coordinator for the Department of Agriculture at the Eastern States Exposition oversees and coordinates all competitive livestock events during the annual Big E fair as well non-fair shows. The person in this role has a deep passion for agriculture in New England, commitment to production agriculture initiatives, and a champion for the educational mission of the Eastern States Exposition. The person best suited for this position has a high level of enthusiasm, is comfortable in a fast-paced environment, and desires to be a leader in this growing team.
This position requires doing what it needs to make livestock shows flow, including attentiveness to exhibitors, extended work hours on weekends and evenings during peak show season, and communication with ESE staff outside of the department to ensure all aspects of the shows are supported. The person in this role needs to be as comfortable at a desk in a professional office environment as they are in the barn and be able to regularly pivot between the two.
Benefits include two weeks paid vacation with ability to earn more over time, sick and personal time, 12 paid holidays, exceptional health and dental plans, 401K with generous match, annual bonus eligibility and more.
- Support livestock show facilitation, initiatives, and educational programming.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationship with breed representatives, regional and national associations, and other agricultural fairs.
- Facilitates and coordinates, along with the assistance of volunteers and staff, the entry management program, entry book revisions, registration and compliance. This includes maintaining a presence through the duration of Livestock events.
- Understand principles of biosecurity and animal husbandry; work closely with regulating bodies and authorities to maintain best practices and standard operating procedures.
- Assist in the development, set-up, and delivery of educational programming and exhibits for the annual fair.
- Assist superintendents and volunteer committees as needed with administrative tasks and show coordination.
- Create the show schedule for the fair including recruiting and contracting with judges.
- Work in collaboration with other departments to support livestock events and activities; assist in the recruitment of regional and national livestock shows.
- Works as the liaison between the committee and Eastern States Exposition for market animal disposition as well as premium awards based on market value, budget and other contributing factors.
- Respond to inquiries from and regarding competitive exhibitors.
- Work as an Event Coordinator supporting the needs of show promotors and exhibitors for non-fair events.
- Other duties as assigned to support department and company-wide needs.
- Excellent customer service skills: Must treat all exhibitors and visitors with courtesy and respect.
- Strong planning skills: Able to manage multiple projects simultaneously; determines project urgency in a meaningful and practical way.
- Exceptional accuracy: Able to perform duties with precision and avoid errors that have significant impact on results.
- Effective project management skills: Able to develop plans that are effective in attaining goals.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills: Able to relate effectively to a wide range of people, personalities and demographics; able to display professional communication with others in a variety of circumstances.
- Energy level that meets the demands of the job: Generally works at a brisk pace while not compromising quality of work; good time utilization and a capacity for a fast-paced environment.
- Strong understanding of policies and procedures: Able to act in accordance with established guidelines; communicates and enforces organizational and departmental policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge or education in an agricultural setting and/or agricultural shows.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university focusing in animal science, agriculture education, agriculture communication or other related program of study or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must live in or relocate to be within a 20 mile radius of the Eastern States Exposition. Relocation assistance provided.
- Capability to complete state Animal Health Training. CVI knowledge Preferred.
- Strong knowledge of use of technology, including Windows operating system, IPad, Microsoft Office. ShoWorks experience preferred.
- Ability to lift or move objects weighing 25 lbs.
- Ability to walk, sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Weekend and extended hours required prior to and during shows (approximately 1 weekend a month), as well as prior to and including the Big E fair.
Eastern States Exposition (ESE) is a not-for-profit corporation committed to excellence in providing year-round opportunities for the development and promotion of agriculture, education, industry and family entertainment while preserving our New England heritage.
ESE is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability or handicap, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, veterans or military status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, transgendered status, results of genetic testing, or any membership in any group protected by applicable laws.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $55,000.00 – $65,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Relocation assistance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- 8 hour shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- Weekends as needed
Supplemental pay types:
- Bonus opportunities
Work Location: In person
To apply for this job, please click here to apply