Supervises and coordinates activities of workers engaged in preparing fields and planting, cultivating, irrigating and harvesting crop specialties such as cotton, safflower, alfalfa, wheat, and tomatoes by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Confers with district manager and/or agronomist to evaluate soil and weather conditions and to develop plans and procedures.
- Inspects fields, observes growing plants and harvested crop and confers with district manager and/or agronomist to determine work requirements such as cultivating, spraying, thinning, weeding, irrigating, and harvesting according to time of year and condition of soil, plants, and crops.
- Determines number and kind of workers needed to perform required work and schedules activities.
- Inspects work performed, observes instrument and gauge readings, ascertains condition of crop, and performs related duties to verify worker adherence to instructions.
- Trains workers in work procedures, safety policies, and use of machinery and tools.
- Oversees transporting of harvested crop.
- Supervises the operation of necessary farm machinery.
- Examines machinery to ascertain maintenance, repair, and replacement requirements, and supervises workers engaged in machinery-maintenance activities.
- Issues tools to workers.
- Recommends measures to improve production methods, equipment performance, and quality of product.
- Suggests changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency of work crew.
- Analyzes and resolves work problems, or assists workers in solving work problems.
- Maintains time and production records.
- Performs activities of workers supervised.
- Reports to work in a timely fashion ready, willing, and able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the job.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Directly supervises 5 – 20 non-supervisory employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Foremen play a crucial role within their department by conducting in-field safety training and are responsible for enforcing the safety rules of the J. G. Boswell Company at all times.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: The J. G. Boswell Company has long been a leader in providing excellent working conditions and constantly strives to maintain this status. You, as a District Foreman, are the Company to your employees and with that responsibility you are expected to be available and listen to them, explain your decisions, and be sure you are understood. Above all, be fair, consistent and respectful when carrying out your responsibilities.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- One year certificate from college or technical school; or three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid current California Drivers’ license, which meets both our insurance company guidelines and J. G. Boswell Company’s Vehicle Use Policy.
- Must be able to work as part of a team and independently.
- Must be observant, organized, and detail oriented.
- Must function well in a fast-paced environment.
- Desire and ability to learn.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to sit, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud noise.
*MUST BE BILINGUAL*
To apply for this job, please click here to apply