BENEFITS INCLUDE: Excellent health care coverage for employee, including dental and vision; 401k contribution from the Tribe, even if you don’t contribute; 15+ paid holidays a year; Life insurance for employee, spouse, and children provided by the Tribe (employees have the option to purchase more); EAP and more!
NATURE OF WORK: This position is responsible for performing repair, maintenance and cleaning to ranch buildings, fences, and grounds along with caring for and working with horses.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Install and repair ranch facilities and grounds including fencing, barns and outbuildings.
- Maintain fences, roads, and water systems.
- Perform a variety of general building maintenance repairs and services.
- Paint interior and exterior of facilities and other structures.
- Assist with preparation, setup, and teardown for events and meetings.
- Repair and service equipment.
- Perform grounds keeping such as brush clearing, mowing, weed eating, pruning, and watering.
- Clean horse stalls and other areas of the ranch grounds and facilities.
- Monitor herd and ensure animals have access to food, water, and shelter.
- Groom and feed horses, monitor each horse’s nutritional needs and diet and record eating habits; work closely with veterinarians to ensure a horse is getting proper nutrition.
- Assist with exercise regiments, training, assessing and correcting problematic behaviors and evaluating horse health and injuries.
- Work with troubled youth and other non-violent offenders participating in rehabilitation programs; teach participants to ride and take care of horses.
- Attend tribal and cultural events with horses including Huckleberry Camp.
- Work cooperatively with law enforcement to create mounted units.
- Assist during manmade and natural disasters to relocate tribal people, animals, and assets.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of general ranch work.
- Knowledge of horsemanship.
- Knowledge of farm equipment such as tractors, animal feeders, and brush mowers.
- Knowledge of equine care and needs.
- Knowledge of ranch operations.
- Ability to ride and handle horses independently.
- Ability to perform detailed work as assigned.
- Ability to lift up to 75lbs and to lift heavy materials and equipment.
- Ability to maintain courteous and effective working relationships and to work with a diverse group of people.
- Ability to use a variety of tools.
- 2 years’ of recent experience performing related farm, ranch or animal husbandry work.
OR a comparable combination of approved education and/or recent related work experience.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be insurable under the Tribe’s insurance policy.
- Must be able to handle horses unsupervised.
- Must be willing to learn and attend horse clinics and other related training.
- Must be willing to work in all weather, during odd hours, and travel as needed.
Medicine River Ranch
A-18 Step I (1) $23.42 to Step VII (7) $31.42