A part-time seasonal laborer will support our 2.5-acre diversified vegetable operation in Cornwall, PA with a range of farm, landscaping, and facility tasks. The Trailside Farm functions as a satellite farm of Rodale Institute. Rodale Institute conducts research, outreach and education for regenerative organic agriculture and our main campus has been a destination for inspiration to a large audience for several decades.
Located within the Cornwall Manor campus, the Trailside Farm operates as a partnership between Rodale Institute and Cornwall Manor, a non-profit active senior living community in Lebanon County, PA. Cornwall Manor offers choices of apartments and homes as well as healthcare services to individuals aged 60 and over. Their mission is to provide the highest quality care, programs, and services for their residents.
The focus of the Trailside Farm is to grow fresh and local produce, herbs and cut flowers for residents and employees of Cornwall Manor. The farm is currently transitioning to becoming certified organic and adheres to strict organic growing practices. In addition to production, the Trailside Farm offers a resident volunteer program, workshops, events, tours, and a weekly farm market open to residents and employees.
Our seasonal laborers are critical in the production of fresh, healthy farm products, and to ensure that our site is maintained to the highest standards. Applicants should be driven, hardworking, and committed to organic agriculture practices. All candidates must be prepared to work in a professional environment, be respectful and outgoing toward residents, complete tasks carefully and in a timely manner, and work in all weather conditions. Seasonal laborers report to the Farm Manager.
- Seeding and planting crops
- Harvesting, processing, packaging, and delivering produce
- Harvesting flowers and herbs; bunching herbs
- Pest scouting and management in the field
- Installing irrigation, hoops, row covers, and insect netting in the field
- Trellising, pruning, and other field crop maintenance
- Fertilizing and fertigating
- Running irrigation
- On-going landscaping: mowing, weeding, string trimming, planting, pruning, dead heading, etc.
- Assist with farm market sales, setup, and clean-up
- Willingness to be outgoing toward Cornwall Manor residents and discuss your work
- Careful record-keeping for all field work, plantings, harvests, sales, and distributions
- Assist with facility maintenance such as painting, cleaning, washing, minor repairs, etc.
- Assist with establishing and maintaining ornamental beds and herb gardens
- Maintain, organize, and clean equipment, and storage areas
- Must be comfortable operating landscaping equipment
- Other duties and tasks as assigned
- Able to operate farm and landscape equipment (rototillers, mowers, string trimmers, pruners, etc.); training will be provided when necessary
- Organized, attentive to detail and have the ability to work independently, multi-task and be a team player
- Must be comfortable receiving direction from senior farm operation staff
- Able to lift 50 pounds
- Willingness to work outside in all weather conditions
- Previous gardening and/ or landscaping experience is preferred but not required
- Must be prompt, responsible and focused
Individuals must be committed to the farm’s success, and in turn, the farm will be committed to the individual’s success.
Schedule: May- August 2023. 25 hours per week, Monday-Friday. 5 Hours daily.
To learn more about Cornwall Manor, please visit: https://cornwallmanor.org/about-us/
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, sexual identity or handicap.