Green City Growers
Green City Growers is an employee owned, certified B Corporation and is the premier urban farming company based in Somerville, Massachusetts. We transform unused space into thriving urban farms, providing schools, homeowners, restaurants, businesses and communities with immediate access to nutritious food, while revitalizing city landscapes and inspiring self-sufficiency. Our clients include schools, corporate campuses, supermarkets, restaurants, private residences and sporting venues.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a hands-on team in a quickly growing company that is dedicated to developing onsite food production systems.
Green City Growers, or GCG, is growing and is looking to hire a remote urban farmer and educator for the Covington, KY area. This position is full time at 40 hours per week. This is a perfect position for someone who is motivated by something larger than themselves, someone who loves the outdoors, a self-starter with the ability to see your work through with a high degree of independence, has at least three years farming experience and is looking for an exciting new opportunity. The ideal candidate will possess excellent communication skills, a positive attitude, be present and transparent, maintain a strong sense of personal responsibility, logical thinking, be thoughtful and a self-starter.
- Crop Production: In conjunction with Director of Horticulture and onsite foodservice concession, develop and implement seasonal crop plans. Maintain yield estimates and harvest records. Manage organic crop protection and soil fertility plans. Propagate and source all plant materials for a successful mixed vegetable operation. Maintain, clean, organize and inventory all onsite infrastructure and equipment. Maximize efficiency and prioritize tasks. Support logistics and manage relationship with onsite food service entity.
- Administration: Prepare for and document work daily in our online systems, including Google Calendar, Google Forms, and Zoho CRM. Participate in committees as needed.
- Customer Service: Collaborate with Customer Success team for scheduling and customer communications. Communicate with clients onsite to answer questions and solve problems.
- Communication: Work with the Director of Horticulture, and the Account Coordinator to ensure garden quality and efficient scheduling. Attend regular horticulture department meetings remotely.
- Education: Lead garden education programs with company constituents.
IDEAL QUALIFICATIONS and SKILLS
- At least 3 years of experience in organic vegetable farming or professional garden work. Experience with management and leading volunteers. 1 year of farm management experience, including crop planning, production, and protection.
- Ability to work independently.
- Experience providing product to a food service entity a plus.
- Experience operating farm machinery, including tractors, mowers, sprayers, & tillers. Knowledge of equipment repair and mechanics preferred.
- Ability to uphold a high level of professionalism and demeanor of company standards and policy.
- Basic understanding of managing logistics and equipment to company standards.
- Ability to maintain a safe workplace in accordance with company policy.
- Some administrative experience and comfort using technology such as Office, G-Calendar, and CRMs.
- Ability to work flexible schedule (occasional long days, early mornings, and weekends).
- Detail oriented, with a demonstrated commitment to high quality work.
- Driver’s license required. Use of personal vehicle (reimbursed) required.
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance for employees, spouses, and children.
- 401(k) retirement plan with 4% employer matching contribution.
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP).
- Discretionary bonus program.
Following a conditional offer of employment, GCG requires motor vehicle record checks on all final candidates.
Green City Growers does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $20.00 – $25.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 10 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- Weekend availability
Supplemental pay types:
- Bonus pay
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Covington, KY: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
- Associate (Preferred)
- Farming: 3 years (Preferred)
Work Location: One location
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.