Washing and packing are particularly important jobs on the farm. Our final vegetable product is put out the door through your hands! It is a fun and team-oriented atmosphere in the packing shed. Your job is to pack vegetable orders. Training will consist of hands-on learning.
David is our wash and pack manager and has been with the farm for 10 years. He will be the go-to for questions and standard operating procedures. Washing is primarily done by David and then your responsibility is to sort, weigh, bags, label, and get the vegetables to their destination in the cooler for the customer.
Our vegetables packing “shed” is a new barn built in 2016 with heat, great lighting, heat in the winter, and shade and cool temperatures in the summer. It is a great building, and we take pride in it!
Season and hours: 4th week of April through 1st week of December 40 hours a week. Monday through Friday 7:30 to 3:30 pm. Half hour paid lunch break and 15 minutes paid morning break. Winter work is available part-time for the right candidate. Winter work is reserved for employees who commit to the following season.
- CSA Packing – We have custom ordered CSA shares. We pack CSA shares on Tuesday mornings, Thursday mid-morning through afternoon, and Friday morning. Accuracy and care of the vegetable are vital for customer satisfaction. It is a fun job that requires attention to details. CSA vegetable Shares are double-checked for accuracy at the end of packing.
- Wholesale Packing – We deliver wholesale orders on Wednesday morning. Packing for wholesale begins Monday and may flow into Tuesday late morning or afternoon after Tuesday CSA boxes have been packed.
- Farmers Market Preparation – We attend the Dorset Farmers Market on Sundays from 10 am to 2 pm. We harvest and pack for the Dorset market on Fridays.
- Bagging – We bag a lot of our vegetables such as greens, carrots, and beets. Bagging comprises about 20% of time spent in the packing shed.
- Physical ability to lift 50 pounds, bend, twist, stand on your feet for 8 hours, and move crates of produce all day. We have many utility carts on wheels, but lifting is still required.
- Verbal and written communication skills; ability to follow instructions and to clearly express ideas in a concise and professional manner. Communication with other pack shed co-workers and harvest crew to make sure the packing lists are complete by the time they are needed.
- A team-oriented attitude. Our pack team works hard but has fun while doing so! Please bring your best attitude and presence daily.
- Reliability. We are dedicated to our customers, and we are dedicated to each other. Please know that your position is important and aside from necessary sick or other days off that may be needed, plan on being at work every day.
- Strong work ethic with history and the ability to work effectively and maintain deadlines with limited supervision
About Mighty Food Farm:
Mighty Food Farm, is a certified organic vegetable farm located in Shaftsbury, Vermont. 2023 will be our 17th growing season.
At Mighty Food Farm, we use growing practices that enhance soil fertility and maintain the farm’s natural balance. We use composts, cover cropping, biological pest control, reduced tillage, crop rotation, and a variety of other practices to produce our vegetables. Our soil is the foundation of our farm.
Mighty Food Farm has a caring work environment, where crew satisfaction and happiness is top priority! We grow 14 acres of vegetables. We have 200 member CSA, whom we pack custom ordered boxes for 3 days a week. We also have a robust local wholesale route and attend the Dorset Farmers Market.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $17.00 per hour
- Employee discount
- Professional development assistance
- 8 hour shift
Primary Series Vaccinations required.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Shaftsbury, VT 05262: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
- Associate (Preferred)
- Driver’s License (Required)
Work Location: In person