We grow 35 acres of 40 different vegetables. There are 2 acres of intensive summer crops and the rest is located on a larger field as part of our crop rotation. Those vegetables are mostly storage crops and are a big part of our winter sale distribution.
The field coordinator will be taking responsibility for our field vegetables. This position requires practical knowledge and experience in vegetable production. It is needed to have prior tractor experience. This person needs to communicate with the Farm Manager for prioritizing weekly seasonal planning and help to put together a daily task list. This position requires being comfortable in training a crew to efficiency, quality standards and safety.
The ideal applicant would be passionate about local food systems, enjoy training and leading the work of others, uphold and communicate about quality standards.
Field Grower Responsibilities:
- Executing the planting schedule
- Ensuring an efficient and punctual process from seeding to transplanting to eventual harvest
- Weed control: help maintain the mechanical cultivation schedule, be involved in scheduling hand cultivation and operate equipment
- Bed preparation (including primary tillage and stale seed bedding)
- Management of transplanting crew
- Fertility management
- Irrigation: operate the pump, schedule and run irrigation as needed
- Pest and disease scouting and control using organic methods
- Field crop oversight: assess the health, readiness and general conditions of all crops
- Participate in making the weekly priorities for field work
- Help in training crew into harvesting
- Communicate with Packshed Coordinator about task list for crew, upcoming readiness for harvest
Good Skills to have:
- Two or more years experience on an vegetable farm
- Understanding of food production systems, having experience with seasonality, plant life cycle, scouting for pests and diseases, harvest
- Interest in teaching people
- Ability to quickly pick up new concepts and techniques and then teach them to others
- Being able to lift 50 lb
- Team player and able to work with all kinds of people
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions
- Detail, reliable, hard working
- Positive attitude and team spirit
- Willingness to commit to the farm for the full year
- Valid driver’s license
This position is: paid hourly (varies DOE), as well as veggies from our field.
Email [email protected]